Monday, March 11, 2013

Hummingbird Cake & Homemade Bath Salts


      It was two of my dear friend's birthday's last week & this week.  I love birthday's- the celebrating, the parties, the yummy goodies... it's all so fabulous!! I'd secretly love to be a party planner!! Our first round celebration was spent having a lovely "ladies & babies" luncheon.  I love days spent with my momma friends.  We laugh, we talk, we play with our beautiful children and sip on wine! It is a lovely fellowship we have.  It makes my heart smile to be around them and their babies!

    So I was extremely excited when I found out L's favorite cake was a hummingbird cake! Talk about memories! My entire childhood I grew up around hummingbird cakes! My great-grandmother made them, my grandmother made them, my mother made them (as she pointed out) and now I was getting to make one! I know the previous generations would be proud! Not too many people have ever even heard of hummingbird cake- it is a a very southern cake.  It is a light, yet rich cake full of sweet fruit with a delicious cream cheese frosting!  It's extremely unique & SOO yummy!



All of the yummy ingredients

Martha Stewart says dump it all in & mix it up--- you better believe I did as she said! 

Before baking

Ta-Da.... Hummingbird Cake


   I had decided earlier that I would make cake plates for each of them, along with homemade bath salts (I found the recipe on Pintrest of course)! So what better way to give a cake stand than with a beautiful cake on it?! It turned out beautifully and was delicious (yes I tried a small nibble along with everyone- I didn't want to be rude)!!  Such a great experience!

Martha Stewart Hummingbird Cake:


  • For The Cake

    • Nonstick vegetable spray
    • All-purpose flour, for pans
    • 3 cups self-rising flour
    • 2 cups granulated sugar
    • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
    • 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
    • 2 very ripe large bananas, mashed
    • 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, with juice
    • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 4 large eggs, beaten
  • For The Frosting

    • 1 pound (1 box) confectioners' sugar
    • 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
    • 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, softened
    • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    • 1 tablespoon milk, or more if needed
    • 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray and flour three 8-by-2-inch round cake pans, tapping out excess flour; set aside.
  2. Prepare the cake; in a large bowl, stir to combine self-rising flour, sugar, oil, pecans, bananas, pineapple, vanilla, cinnamon, and eggs.
  3. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans, smoothing with an offset spatula. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, until the tops spring back when gently pressed with your fingertips, 26 to 28 minutes.
  4. Transfer pans to a wire rack to cool 10 minutes. Invert cakes onto wire rack. Re-invert cakes and let them cool completely, top sides up.
  5. Prepare the frosting; in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine sugar, cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon milk on medium speed until frosting is smooth. If needed, add more milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to achieve the proper spreading consistency.
  6. Using a serrated knife, trim tops of cakes to make level. Place four strips of parchment paper around perimeter of a serving plate or lazy Susan. Place the first layer on the cake plate. Spread the top of the first layer with 1/4 of the frosting. Place the second layer on top and repeat process with another 1/4 of the frosting. Place the remaining layer on top of the second layer bottom side up. Spread entire cake with remaining frosting. Sprinkle the top with pecans. Remove parchment paper strips; refrigerate until ready to serve.

**I didn't have parchment paper, but used the Pam with flour & they didn't stick at all!!

   I also really wanted to make the homemade bath salts I'd seen on Pintrest!  They also turned out fabulous and smelled so good! Ahhh! The only expensive part was the essential oil, but you only use 2-3 drops....so it will last you forever!! Be sure to pick a scent you love!

All you need for perfection! 

Add a few drops of food coloring

Mix & break up the dyed spots to create colored bath salts

Finished product ready for a LONG HOT bath

Homemade Bath Salts:

1 cup Epsom Salt
1 cup Sea Salt
2-3 drops of Essential Oil
A couple drops of food coloring

       Mix ingredients together in a bowl, your house will smell amazing!  The food coloring kind of clumps up, I just mixed & "chopped" it up until it lightly colored the bat salts.  I chose to make tangerine bath salts in anticipation for the summer! 


    Now it's time to get back to Monday-fun day with Bibi & Ella! Children bring such joy! Hope you have a great start to your week!!  


 




1 comment:

  1. Your cake is beautiful. What about the Hummingbird cakes your Momma made?? I used to make them for birthday's too...I remember making one for Dad's birthday in Lancaster. I am going to make the bath salts for gifts too. Great Idea!! Kiss the angels for me.

    ReplyDelete