Sunday, March 10, 2013

First week of Paleo...


         We made it!! The Kirkland's survived our first week on the Paleo diet and are doing very well! After the first 2 days, it was a breeze (especially after visiting the grocery store to "hunt & gather" our foods)!  Jon initially felt like he was "wasting away,"  but soon realized that with a proper breakfast of nest eggs his day with much easier and he was less hungry.  He said he felt better and was glad we were eating whole foods instead of all the processed crap. I too snack "frequently" through-out the day on veggies, nuts and meats.  I can honestly say that I feel awesome, have more energy, am less hungry and sleep better at night! I don't feel bloated, uncomfortable and cranky anymore! It's incredible! Such a great experience "challenging" our bodies this month with the Wiggins.


Explain's Paleo Do's & Don'ts


          We had a birthday lunch at my sweet friend S's house and she made me the sweetest "Paleo platter" with meat, veggies, fruits, etc! Such a sweet friend to support me like that!  Everyone has been awesome in supporting us!  Even asking for recipes! I really like how one picture I saw put it "Real food doesn't come in packages" and it is TRUE! So I imagine the Kirklands will be "Whole Food" people once this month is over! Add in a few beans, brown rice, etc to fill my hubby up a bit more- but cut out as much processed junk as possible!

We also had our "cheat meals" yesterday- I had sushi & frozen yogurt, while Jon had a burger fries & chocolate shake! YUM! It was so good, and I didn't feel bad about it because we'd been good all week!


Yummy salted carmel & salted peanut frozen yogurt!! Even Ella has some! :) 

Jon's burger & fries at My Burger :) 



   This week I made nest eggs, chicken stir fry and a fruit platter on the Paleo diet! They were all awesome!  I'll share them with you!

Nest Eggs:

-12 pieces of Applegate unprocessed turkey bacon
-8 cage free eggs
-salt & pepper to taste
-Olive oil spray, or coconut oil, or aluminum liners

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Spray your muffin tin liberally! (I might even use some coconut oil or aluminum liners next time...they stuck kinda bad) wrap the bacon around the muffin tins in a circle.  In a separate bowl crack the 8 eggs, beat them, & add salt and pepper.  Pour evenly into the muffin tins until each tin is 1/2 full.  Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until the eggs puff up and don't jiggle in the center anymore!!

**You could also just crack 1 egg into each cup and cook for 20-25 minutes to have a softer egg center & different kind of nest!
Line the tins with the bacon & mix your eggs

Pour evenly into each tin

Nest Eggs! 

I put them in a zip lock baggie and stored them in the fridge.  My husband reheats 2 every morning for breakfast! He says they are great even for a non Paleo day!! 

We also had an easy stir fry (minus the rice) with some great spices my friends the Wiggins sent us for Christmas! Easy and yummy meal! 

Stir Fry with the leftover crock pot chicken

Yummy stir fry with a cashew topping for extra crunch

Fruit platter for dessert!! Ella's favorite! 

    A couple people have asked if we are making our daughter, Ella, go Paleo too! The answer is yes & no.  We give her the foods & meals that I cook and she usually loves to eat them. She's a great eater! Plus Ella can eat her weight in fruit!  I've never seen a child eat more blueberries in my life! But we continue to give her milk, cheese and whole wheat toast at breakfast! She's a growing girl and deserves all the nutrients she can get!  She also LOVES hummus! She will dip- lick off, dip- lick off & never touch the cracker! Haha!  So I made her the Barefoot Contessa's homemade hummus this week! 


All the ingredients I used 

Yummy, creamy hummus!! 
Here's the recipe: 

Ingredients
4 garlic cloves
2 cups canned chickpeas, drained, liquid reserved
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/3 cup tahini (sesame paste)
6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
2 tablespoons water or liquid from the chickpeas
8 dashes hot sauce
Directions
Turn on the food processor fitted with the steel blade and drop the garlic down the feed tube; process until it's minced. Add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor and process until the hummus is coarsely pureed. Taste, for seasoning, and serve chilled or at room temperature.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/hummus-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback




Come back tomorrow as I'll show you how I made hummingbird cake for my friends birthday and homemade bath salts as a gift!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment