Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Bean burrito night, a wedding, and being on call




       So that's what we've been up to!!  I'm done blogging now right?!  We have had a busy past week with Grace Ellison's Denver wedding weekend extravaganza, Jon being on call a few days, and Ella loving her some bean burritos for dinner one night!

I LOVE bean burritos and sliced up grapes....yummy! 


       Our weekend trip to Denver started out a little rough- we were delayed due to snow in Minneapolis (go figure) and then stranded without a rental car for a while, all while having only eaten very little that morning (first big mistake)!  But daddy pulled through, got us a rental car and Ella a chicken & cheese burrito! We then spent the weekend catching up with old friends, eating yummy food, not sleeping (because Ella decided that staying out past her bedtime & a new time zone meant = lets wake up every 2 hours to play all night), and celebrating the marriage of Grace & Kevin!  While Ella did not sleep or nap much, she did seem to have a great time dancing at the wedding and running around our hotel room in nothing but her diaper! Thankfully now that we are back home she is sleeping all night again- I worked too hard to revert back! I guess there really is "no place like home" to Ella! But aside from lack of sleep- the weather was beautiful, the bride was gorgeous and I had a great time!!  The wedding was so fun too!! It's amazing how Pinterest has changed how weddings are "done" now- it had such a comfortable, rustic, classy feeling to it!! Grace's mom, family and friends did A LOT of work & pulled it off..... it was a BEAUTIFUL wedding!!






A little "self shot" before the wedding....it was freezing that day

My dance party date

Me & the GORGEOUS bride! BFF's since 8th/9th grade!! 

My little lucky charm 

What is this thing?  It is no iPhone.....


        Time for "True Confessions of the Paleo diet"......  Paleo is going "alright" for us!  We splurged a little in Denver because it was impossible to cook food in the hotel & the wedding food was SO yummy! Now that we are back home we are getting back on the semi-paleo band wagon!  After long talks with Jon about the foods we truly love, the amount of time and money that we have to spend, and the fact that he works such long/strenuous hours at work....we've decided to modify our diets.  So to say we are 100% Paleo is no longer true!  Jon has added back beans, brown rice & the occasional whole wheat bread I make from scratch!  Nothing too fancy- nothing processed, but definitely Paleo "no-no's."  I'm still trying my best to stay pretty true to Paleo, but I have a swipe or two (or three or four) of the homemade hummus I make for Ella at lunchtime occasionally! What can I say? It's so good! And again- homemade!  So I'd say we are eating a more "whole foods" diet, but no diary right now and not a lot of gluten when possible!  This whole experience has been great for our family!  We feel so much better, our clothes fit so much better (if they aren't loose :) and Ella is eating a lot more fruits and vegetables than before!  So I figured I'd share our honest truth with you guys since I'd started out so positive about the Paleo Diet.....I still think it's an awesome diet, just maybe too strict & expensive for us during this time in our lives! But we are taking a lot of what we learned & incorporating it into our everyday eating.


Daddy gets 2 of these? AWESOME!  





      Jon was on call a few days last week and Ella decided to play with his pagers for "fun."  She thought they were neat little items to carry around the house.... if she only knew what it meant when they beeped!! Not good!! I guess she's our little "doctor" in the making right now!!

     A new recipe coming by Thursday!!




2 comments:

  1. Jenny, It was so good to see you, Jon and Ella at the wedding! You girls have all been such a huge part of Grace's life all these years and I love following along via FB as you 'grow up' and have families of your own. Thank you for all you did to make wedding w/end a success. Love you so much! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the beautiful pictures of my girls. Grace truly was the "third" daughter in the Smith household for years. Now our hearts are full with her happiness. As for me....that little "dancing machine" has my whole heart!!

    ReplyDelete