Friday, March 22, 2013

How to remove a carpet stain

Who could be mad at this face? 


        Crystal Light is my enemy today......


        In the Kirkland household we LOVE our Crystal Light!  We drink it by the pitcherful!  The fruit punch is delicious and calorie free!  It makes us drink tons & tons of water and tastes better than plain water! So of course Ella loves it too!! (Judge me if you want- but please your kids will one day drink soda, etc soon) We dilute hers with water, but it's what she loves because she see's us drinking it all day long! She is a smart little girl I tell you- you cannot fool her!

       So without thinking about it we went upstairs on Tuesday, juice cups in tow, to play! (A change in scenery & toys is a must multiple times during the day)  We were running around chasing each other when BAM- we knocked over the Crystal Light cup.  On our WHITE rental carpet... awesome! I hurried as fast as I could to soak it up, poured all my resolve carpet cleaner on it and scrubbed away! (Keep in mind this all happened right before bedtime when Jon was at a dinner conference) So after scrubbing & vacuuming the area I put Ella to bed and finished the rest of the things I needed to do.  I looked at the spot and thought "it looks pretty good, I'll go get some more cleaner tomorrow."  It must have been really dark or something because I woke up to this in the sunlight.....



        WHAT???  No no no- this was not good! Now a lot of you are going to say "oh you can barely see it" but trust me...you can see it!  Very clearly- a red outline on the carpet.  This is a rental condo, and we want our deposit money back, I had to get this stain out!  So of course I went to my trusted Pinterest to get some answers! I found a bunch of different answers, but the most consistent was a interesting method I call "Ironing my carpet."  So I thought I'd give it a try...what could it hurt? If it didn't work I'd spend the money and rent a carpet cleaner to pay for Stanley Steamer to come!

Carpet Stain Remover:

2 Cups water
4-5 drops of Dawn Dish Detergent   (I used knock of target brand and it did just fine)
White towel

Dampen a white towel with soap/water mixture and lay over stain.  Turn your iron on the medium heat setting and place over the towel & stain.  Let it set for 5-10 minutes.  Look at the bottom of your towel.  Repeat in a different stained area with a clean part of the towel.  Best to work in small areas.  You may need to repeat multiple times before stain is gone.



Most of the "recipes" called for the blue Dawn dish soap- but this worked great & didn't dye my carpet green at all! 


Ironing my carpet- I felt like Cinderella

It's amazing what the bottom of your towel looks like- a nice pink shade of crystal light 

Now you can't tell me that doesn't look 100% better!

     I worked!! I couldn't believe it!!  It took me 2 different sessions, on 2 different days (so yes my stain had time to set in....but that didn't matter) but it worked!  My crystal light stain is gone!! Our deposit is safe for now!  However- Crystal Light is now banned from our house! I had nightmares of more crystal light spills on our brand new carpet in our brand new house!! NOT happening!!  I'm going to have to find a "clear" calorie free drink to enjoy or switch to Crystal Light Lemonade! Or heck- just enjoy some old fashion aqua!

  


Her first bite of a Cadbury Egg- she loved it!!


    Ella has been extra "giggly" lately and has learned to blow kisses! She thinks everyone she see's gets a "blown kiss."  That little girl is making friends all over Minneapolis! Such a hoot!! She loved her first Cadbury egg bite from her daddy.... I can tell they are going to be candy buds together! So fun! 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment