Sunday, February 3, 2013

Dr. Love & Chicken Lettuce Wraps


    Oh boy did the Kirklands have a fun little weekend!  Baking Cookies, Snow, Costco samples, A take-out fake out, walking & crashing, & a little fun with Dr. Love kept us very busy!!


    Nana made Ella an apron, which she sent in a cute little care package for her birthday! So naturally we had to try it out & bake some cookies on Friday afternoon while it snowed yet again :/!  I found a blog on Pintrest that showed the "8 Secrets to the Best Cookie & Recipe" and decided to try it out! I have to admit- they are fantastic!! It showed me that by slowing down a little, truly paying attention to the recipe and pre-planing a little = cookie success!! That all sounds easy with a 1 year old right?! However Ella is a great baby, and she really does love to cook & stir things up! So we were able to make the best chocolate chips cookies we have ever made!  Ella & Daddy approved! The recipe included lots of creaming of the butter ,butter & sugar, and room temperature everything (no microwave short cuts)!

I love my apron Nana! 

Ok enough pictures mom... 

Let's go make those cookies..... I'm off

Moist, chewy & delish! 


I love them mommy! 

Double fisting it

Ya know- I could really use some milk... 

  Have I mentioned we have a true walker in the house?!  Ella is always moving, always walking, and always crashing into things! She's such a trooper though- she usually always gets back up smiling & carries on!  However she received her first "goose egg" after colliding with the kitchen cabinets which she did not rebound from as quickly... Mommy got lots of sweet cuddles though  :)  It's so fun to watch her walk around! Like a little Frankenstein with her arms out in front of her! It's a sad realization that my little "baby" is growing up so fast, I think she's even considered a toddler now! Too fast!

 We also spent our Saturday morning sampling the aisles at Costco! YUMMY! Ella ate her weight in pizza, mommy got a cup of frozen yogurt & Daddy scored big with a take & bake pizza for the Superbowl! This exact time last year we joined Costco in Chicago (Feb 5th) & had Ella the next day! So we have a very found spot in our hearts for Costco! 
Big girl (with her bump on her forehead)

I love pizza


Seriously mom - I don't take pictures of you eating. 

     Saturday night we had the pleasure of taking a homemade meal to some of our friends who just had their second little girl!! I decided to try a Take-Out Fake-Out & make some Chicken Lettuce wraps, like the ones from PF Changs. So this will be my recipe of the week: Chicken Lettuce Wraps!

http://www.tablefortwoblog.com/2013/01/09/from-the-archives-take-out-fake-out-chicken-lettuce-wraps/

From the Archives: Take-Out, Fake-Out Chicken Lettuce Wraps

Yield: 8-10 lettuce wraps | Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 10 minutes

INGREDIENTS:

2 large boneless, skinless, chicken breasts or 5 tenderloins, cooked (I boiled mine in water for 7 minutes) and finely chopped
4 tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
4 tbsp. dark brown sugar
1 tsp. rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tbsp. sesame oil
1/2 white onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 8 oz. can of water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
1/2 cup reconstituted shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped
Romaine or iceberg lettuce

INSTRUCTIONS:

  1. In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, and vegetable oil. Set aside.
  2. In a large skillet, add the sesame oil then add the onion, garlic, water chestnuts, and shiitake mushrooms. Cook the veggies until tender, about 5 minutes.
  3. Add the finely chopped chicken to the skillet then pour the sauce you created in step 1 over the entire mixture. Stir to combine. Let cook together for 3-5 minutes.
  4. Serve hot in beds of the romaine or iceberg lettuce with a side of white rice.


I started with 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts. I chopped them into cubes and cooked them in a cast iron skillet.  I then removed them from the pot & copped into fine little pieces! 




I then took my soy sauce, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar and vegetable oil & whisked together in a small bowl & set aside.   It smelled heavenly!! 


I then chopped my white onion, 8 ounces of water chestnuts & garlic into extremely fine pieces using my kitchen aid chopper! Best kitchen tool ever for this recipe!! **Note the recipe called for mushrooms, but we don't really like them so I omitted them. They were still amazing**




Then add your chopped vegetable back into your original cast iron skillet along with 1 Tbsp sesame oil and cook until tender, or about 5 minutes.  Then add in your finely chopped chicken along with your brown sugar-soy sauce mixture and cook an additional 3-5 minutes until done!   Serve with lettuce leaves and some kind of rice,  I made vegetable fried brown rice.    It was seriously to die for yummy! 


Finished Chicken Mixture


Vegetable Fried Brown Rice

              I didn't take a picture of the final project because we were eating with friends & I didn't want to seem like a weirdo..."Can I take a picture of the food first?"  But it was really pretty and very yummy! I used Butter Lettuce to wrap the chicken with!  Great meal! 

      After reading all of this I'm sure you are wondering why the tittle of this blog was "Dr Love & Chicken Lettuce Wraps."   Who is Dr Love?  Well let me tell you... or better yet, let me show you!! 
Coming to a hospital near you.....





Our little Dr. Love taking after her daddy, Auntie Kristy & Papa! Such a sweet face! We love her!! 


Thanks for reading-- and enjoy your Super Bowl parties! We will be snug as a bug in a rug at home! 







No comments:

Post a Comment